Deprecated: mysql_connect(): The mysql extension is deprecated and will be removed in the future: use mysqli or PDO instead in /home/content/28/9521728/html/invisible/connect.php on line 2
Introduced in 1993 for the US, the R1100RS was the first Oilhead. As such it had its share of changes over the years. Most of these changes affected all Oilhead models.
- First-year models had a black dashboard; after that they were painted to match the bodywork.
- Non-adjustable handlebar available through 7/94? And bench seat?
- In 1994, when the GS was introduced, the transmission was changed to what is known as the M94.
- 11/93 - change to the fuel pump assembly, probably for the float level gauge.
- 2/94 - improvement in front master cylinder (lot number 368 or higher).
- 9/94 -, change to alternator belt and pulleys. Earlier models had an aluminum alternator pulley which could break. This was replaced with a steel one and the drive pulley was changed also. Low friction throttle cable
- 5/94 -the fuel distributor was changed. The clips fastening the injectors are a different size.
- 2/95 - Recall 94V-233 for handlebars and Telelever ball joint
- 6/95 - introduction of low-friction throttle cable. BMW recommended replacing this cable every 18,000 miles.
- In 1995, the 9-fin cylinder heads replaced the 10-fin. The oil separator changed from a cyclone design to a spinner on the front of the crankshaft.
- Partway through MY1995, the valves were reduced in size from 36/31 to 34/29, with a reduction in stem size from 6mm to 5mm. Valve keepers went from rotating to non-rotating.
- 7/96 throttle cable improvement
- 8/96 rear shock got preload adjustment
- For 1996, the rear subframe was upgraded. The rear seat was changed to match (the front supports are shorter because they now sit on a channel that supports the luggage rack).
- 8/96 rubber bushing on front shock. Prior to this there was a steel bushing that needed to be lubricated.
- For 1997 the transmission changed again.
- 12/97 clutch change
- In 1998 the head gasket design changed, bringing about a dimensional change in the cylinder. Similar head gaskets are available for previous models.
- In December of 1997 the crankcase changed dramatically. The breather system changed, two oil pickups instead of one.
This bike was an early one - #275, made in April 1993 - so it has the 'beta' specific features like the large valves and the black dashboard. After the 1994 models (this bike is considered a 1994) the dashboard became body-colored. In 1996 the valve sizes were reduced.
- K1200LT front lower fender - to give far more protection for the front of the engine than the stock (short) fender provides. Probably BMW selects a short fender for sporty looks and to keep it from melting from the heat of the exhaust headers, but this looks stock and there is no indication of heat damage.
- 5-spoke K1200RS rear 17" wheel. K1200RS lug bolts (about 5mm shorter) should also be used but I cut down longer bolts. Furthermore, the ABS ring retaining bolts needed to be removed to prevent interference with the rim, but this isn't a problem because the ring is shrunk onto the hub. The 17" rim is nominally 0.5" wider (only measures 0.2" wider, though) but has more of an offset to the right. This seems to eliminate the excess wear on the left side of the front tire that I was gettting. A 170/60-17 will fit without rubbing the swingarm.
- 5-spoke R1150RS front wheel. With the R1150RS speedometer drive, R11xxGS brake rotors and ABS ring, this is a bolt-on upgrade.
- R1150RS windshield makes smoother airflow at head level. I added spacers under the front mounting bolts to rake it back farther, and I might trim the flip-up end off.
- Wilbers Shocks
- Added headlight switch and heated grips
- Big Mak Airbag (tankbag)
- Extra Powerpole power outlets in fairing
- Slotted filler neck and raised overflow baffle to hold more fuel without overflowing
- Removed charcoal canister
- Swapped for black seats
- Deerstrike damage included front subframe and left side fairing, with minor damage to the front and right fairings
- Welded new saddlebag mounting tabs on the rear subframe (the old ones cracked)
- Replaced Hall-effect sensor and sidestand switch
- Repaired transmission (was popping out of 3rd gear). Changed clutch upon reinstallation.
- Fuel pump failed at about 115,000 miles.
- Right-side throttle body shaft wore out around 110,000 miles.
- Replaced the starter around 130,000 miles.
- Overhauled the front master cylinder.
R1150RS windshield fully raised
R1150RS windshield fully lowered
Closeup of windshield spacer